Thursday, 13 August 2009

Buff Orpington Chicks, Daisy and the Dyeing that didn't quite!

Last night was a bit chilly for us and after I'd fed the hens I found the Buff Orpington mum keeping her chicks warm under her wings. The chicks are now quite big and I think they can probably fend for themselves, but it seems that mum still enjoys babying them sometimes!

Here is Daisys wool, all washed and hanked up nicely. It now weighs 550g so it lost 100g in the washing. Is that about 18%? If so, that's about right. Now it just needs labelling, a few moth balls put in the bag and its ready for Leda to pick up in a week or two.

And here's a picture of my black dyeing that went wrong. Its turned into a lovely shimmery grey - we used to have a cat a very similar colour. When I've carded up the alpaca I'll put it through with some nepps and see how it goes as a practice. Meantime, Joan has some black acid dye for me to try again with. Second time lucky we hope!




4 comments:

JK said...

Love that colour, perhaps it dyes different with roving..

Scalpay Linen said...

It is a fabby shade - certainly won't go to waste!

shortlegs the sheep said...

the wool looks fab! will be over on the late ferry 29 august, will see you sometime during the week - have to be in stornoway wed, thurs and friday during the day, leaving saturday 5th. staying at urgha. x

Scalpay Linen said...

Great, looking forward to seeing you.