Sunday 14 December 2008

A New Harris Tweed Being Born




Yesterday afternoon I decided to do something constructive about getting the new tweed on the loom after spending a few weeks dithering about.
So the first thing I did was to get out all my stash of Harris Wool and photograph it.....

There's enough here to do a couple of small tweeds and I can't really afford to buy in any more just now, but I need to decide what colours will go well with what and its important in design to make sure the "balance" is correct between the various colours you are using. The best way to check balance is to turn the photos into grayscale. Then you can match up shades of grey together and be sure that if you use matching shades they will be properly balanced in the warp.


Then a quick visit to the future trends info to check if any of the colours I have are likely to be in vogue next season...... fortunately I have a number of colours that can be combined to make a trendy look.
So I threaded up my little Louet table loom with 100 warp ends and started doing a little sample piece. Don't have a photo of that yet as my batteries have gone dead and I forgot to recharge them. Haven't decided on a draft yet - maybe something a bit different like a staggered herringbone or a bit of bell celtic mixed in to get some texture. With the Hattersley Loom I am a bit limited to the patterning - also for Harris Tweed only certain weave structures will fulfil the technical parameters that will make it the right weight to be stamped as authentic.
Anyway, watch this space for some more progress....



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ooh fantastic, can't wait to see what you come up with next, I'm sure it will be perfect for Calana Craft's new range of Harris Tweed Elegant and Country Bags, so get cracking, good way to keep the chill off........ha ha.....